Basilica Online is a fully-searchable online edition of the 17 volumes of the Basilica text and its scholia, as edited between 1945 and 1988 by H.J. Scheltema, D. Holwerda, and N. van der Wal. The Basilica is the single-most important source for Byzantine law throughout the period of the Byzantine empire, and is a major source for Byzantine studies more broadly.
Added Features and Benefits
- Most recent and accurate edition of the Basilica text and its scholia.
- Fully searchable in both Latin and Greek.
- All critical apparatus of the edition included.
- Browsing and navigation functionalities at volume (volumen), book (liber) or chapter (titulus) level.
- Full academic introduction written specifically for the online edition by Professor Dr B. H. Stolte.
- Comprehensive and up-to-date bibliography compiled by Dr T. E. van Bochove.
- Collective index to the text and scholia.
Researchers with interests in Byzantine law, Byzantine society, medieval legal history, Roman law and its afterlives, and medieval Greek language.