Stress Shift and Trochaic Structures in the Nominal System of Modern Hebrew

in Brill's Journal of Afroasiatic Languages and Linguistics
Restricted Access
Get Access to Full Text
Rent on DeepDyve

Have an Access Token?



Enter your access token to activate and access content online.

Please login and go to your personal user account to enter your access token.



Help

Have Institutional Access?



Access content through your institution. Any other coaching guidance?



Connect

This study examines the stress patterns in the nominal system of Modern Hebrew. It is argued that stress in Modern Hebrew is trochaic, consisting of binary or degenerate feet. Two competing analyses of stress in Modern Hebrew nouns are provided. It is argued that a trochaic analysis is superior to a strong binary analysis (maintaining that feet in Hebrew are obligatory binary), and can accurately predict the adaptation of loanwords in the language.

Stress Shift and Trochaic Structures in the Nominal System of Modern Hebrew

in Brill's Journal of Afroasiatic Languages and Linguistics

Sections

References

5

Cohen (2009) found that 98.2% of all English loanwords in Hebrew preserve their original stress. The remaining 1.8% of words that exhibit stress changes is explained by variable stress patterns in English or the influence of a third language.

Index Card

Content Metrics

Content Metrics

All Time Past Year Past 30 Days
Abstract Views 22 22 5
Full Text Views 9 9 6
PDF Downloads 0 0 0
EPUB Downloads 1 1 0