1. This article is based on G. R. South and J. Veitayaki, Fisheries, research paper (Suva: Fiji Constitution Review Commission [restricted distribution], 1995).
2. A. Richards, comp., FijiFisheriesResourcesProfiles, Forum Fisheries Agency Report no. 94/4 (Honiara: Forum Fisheries Agency, 1994).
3. J. Hornell, ReportontheFisheriesofFiji (Suva: Government Printer, 1940), p. 34. 4. Government of Fiji, Fisheries, Chap. 158, in LawsofFiji (Suva: Government Printer, 1985). 5. Instrument of Cession of the Islands of Fiji by Thakombau Tui Viti and Vunivalu, and Some Other High Chiefs of the Said Islands to Her Most Gracious Majesty Victoria ... (1874). 6.Tokatoka is an enlarged family unit or a group of closely related families, whereas the mataqali, or clans, comprise groups of tokatoka;mataqali are grouped into yavusa, which in turn constitute a vanua. 7. S. Waqairatu, "The Delimitation of Traditional Fishing Grounds: The Fiji Experience," in TraditionalMarineTenureandSustainableManagementofMarineRe-sourcesinAsiaandthePacific, ed. G. R. South, D. Goulet, S. Tuqiri, and M. Church (Suva: International Ocean Institute, South Pacific, 1994), pp. 79-84.
8. Ibid, p. 80. 9. B. Campbell and M. Lodge, Fisheries Management and l.aw Advisory Programme:RegionalCompendiumofFisheriesLegislation(WesternPacificRegion):ReporttotheGovern-mentsoftheSouthPacificForumFisheriesAgency, Vol. 1, SouthPacificForumFisheriesAgenryandFoodandAgricultureOrganizationoftheUnitedNations (Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 1993).
10. G. M. Fong, "Case Study of a Traditional Marine Management System Sasa Village, Macuata Province, Fiji: Project RAS/92/T05," in CaseStudiesonTraditionalMarineSystemsintheSouthPacific, Forum Fisheries Agency Field Report no. 94/ 1 (Honiara: South Pacific Forum Fisheries Agency and Food and Agriculture Organi- zation of the United Nations, 1994). 11. S. T. Cavuilati, "Managing Fisheries Resources: The Fiji Experience," in MarineResourcesandDevelopment:TheRayParkinsonMemorialLectures,1992 (Suva: Pacific Islands Marine Resource Information Systems, University of the South Pa- cific, 1993)pp. 37-62. 12. Ibid, p. 45.
13. Waqairatu, pp. 81-82. 14. Ibid.
16. World Bank, PacificIslandEconomies:SustainableDevelopmentofFisheries,CountryDepartmentIII:EastAsiaandthePacificRegion, World Bank Report no. 14615- EAP (Washington, D.C.: World Bank, 1995). 17. Ibid.
18. Ibid. 19. Cavuilati. 20. Fong (n. 10 aboave). 21. Hornell (n. 3 above). 22. Ibid., p. 34.
23. Government of Fiji, Rivers and Streams Ordinance, Chap. 121, in LawsofFiji (Suva: Government Printer, 1967), pp. 1572-75. 24. Fong, p. 8.
25. G. B. K. Baines, "Traditional Resource Management in the Melanesian South Pacific: A Development Dilemma," in CommonPropertyResources:EcologyandCommunity-BasedSustainableDevelopment, ed. F. Berkes (London: Bellhaven, 1989), pp. 273-95. 26. Hornell, p. 34. 27. V. Ram, "The Socio-Economic Structure of Fisheries in Small Island Econ- omies of the South Pacific: Case Study of Fiji Islands" (M.S. thesis, Kagoshima Uni- versity, 1986).
28. A. Cooke, "The Qoligoli of Fiji: Management of Resources in Traditional Fishing Grounds" (M.S. thesis, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 1994). 29. M. Pulea, AnOverviewof ConstitutionalandLegal ProvisionsRelevanttoCustom-aryMarineTenureandManagementSystemsintheSouthPacific, Forum Fisheries Agency Report no. 93/23 (Honiara: Forum Fisheries Agency, 1993).
30. Secretary of state of the colonies to the governor of Fiji, dispatch no. 71 (2June 1881). 31. Hornell (n. 3 above), p. 34. 32. K. Ruddle, "Traditional Marine Tenure in the 90s," in TraditionalMarineTenureandSustainableManagementofMarineResourcesinAsiaandthePacific, ed. G. R. South, D. Garlet, S. Turgiri, and M. Church (Suva: International Ocean Insti- tute, South Pacific, 1994), pp. 6-45. 33. Colonial Secretary's Office 1304/1893.
34. International Ocean Institute Operational Centre at the University of the South Pacific, RegionalSedsGovernanceinthe21stCentury:NationalandRegionalIssuesintheSouthPacific:Reportsof theLeaders' Seminar (Suva: International Ocean Institute, South Pacific, 1993).