1. L. P. Zann, "Caring for the Sea," in FisheriesandtheMarineEnvironment, vol. 6, TropicalMarineStudies (Townsville, Australia: Unesco, 1995). 2. P. T. Dalzell, T. Adams, and N. Polunin, "Coastal Fisheries in the South Pacific Islands," background paper no. 30, in SouthPacificInshoreFisheriesWorkshopManuscriptCollection, ed. P. T. Dalzell and T. Adams (Noumea, New Caledonia: South Pacific Commission, 1995), vol. 1. 3. Taro is a root crop and a staple food for Pacific Islanders.
4. Zann, "Caring for the Sea." 5. L. P. Zann, FisheryResourceAssessment forManagementinWesternSamoa:ProjectFindingsandRecommendations (Rome: United Nations Development Programme and Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, 1991), 28 pp. 6. S. D. Naidu and R. J. Morrison, "Contamination of Suva Harbour, Fiji," MarinePollutionBulletin 29, nos. 1-3 (1994): 126-30. 7. L. P. Zann, "The Status of Coral Reefs in South Western Pacific Islands," MarinePollutionBulletin 29, nos. 1-3 (1994): 52-61. 8. Zann, FisheryResourceAssessmentforManagementinWesternSamoa.
9. W. C. Clarke and R. J. Morrison, "Land Mismanagement and the Develop- ment Imperative in Fiji," in Land DegradationandSociety, ed. H. C. Brookefield and v- M. Blaikie (London: Methuen, 1987), pp. 176-85. 10. L. P. Zann, "The State of the Marine Environment in Fiji: Report on the Marine Environment," unpublished report (National Environmental Management Project, Suva, 1992).
11. Fiji Fisheries Division, 1996AnnualReport (Suva: Ministry of Primary Indus- try, 1996). 12. Zann, "The State of the Marine Environment in Fiji." Supra note 10. 13. Ibid. 14. Zann, "The Status of Coral Reefs in South Western Pacific Islands." Supra note 7. 15. Zann, "The State of the Marine Environment in Fiji." Supra note 10. 16. Ibid. 17. M. Pulea, "Preliminary Report for Environmental Law in Fiji: A Descrip- tion and Evaluation," unpublished report (National Environmental Management Project, Environmental Management Unit, Suva, 1991).
R 18. P. N. Lal, InstitutionalManagementofMangroveResourcesinFiji, Technical Report no. 5 (Suva: Fiji Fisheries Division, 1983), pp. 57-75. 19. S. Tuqiri and R. South, "Report on the Marine Awareness Workshop for Beqa Lagoon Concerning the Custodian Provinces of Rewa, Namosi and Serua" (paper presented at the International Ocean Institute-South Pacific Conference, Pacific Harbour International Hotel, Deuba, Fiji, 16-18 May 1996), p. 109.
20. Economic and Social Council for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), Environ-mentalManagementPlanfortheKingdom.ofTonga: AReport totheGovernmentsofTongaonEnvironmentalManagement (Bangkok: ESCAP, 1990). 21. Ibid. 22. R. H. Chesher, "The Tongan Giant Clam (vasuva): Revitalization Proj- ects," unpublished report (Marine Research Foundation, Tongatapu, 1988).
23. L. P. Zann, W. J. Kimmerer, and R. E. Brook, TheEcologyofFangau'utaLagoon,Tongatapu,Tonga (Tongatapu: University of the South Pacific and University of Hawaii Sea Grant, 1984). 24. J. L. McKoy, "Biology, Exploitation and Management of Giant Clams (Tridacnidae) in the Kingdom of Tonga," FisheryBulletin, Tonga Fisheries Division, vol. 1 (1980). 25. R. H. Chesher, "Pollution Sources Survey of the Kingdom of Tonga," in TOPicReview, no. 19 (Noumea, New Caledonia: South Pacific Regional Environ- mental Programme, 1986). 26. T. I. J. Fairbairn, "Marine Property Rights in Relation to Giant Clam Mariculture in the Kingdom of Tonga," in GiantClamsintheSustainableDevelop-?4mtoftheSouthPacific, ed. C. Tisdell (Rome: Australian Centre for International Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, 1990), 28 pp. 27. Ibid.
28. Zann, "Fishery Resource Assessment for Management in Western Samoa" (n. 5 above). 29. W. von Bulow, "Fishing Rights of the Natives of German Samoa," Globus 70, no. 12 (1902): 4-41.
30. T. I. J. Fairbairn, "Traditional Reef and Lagoon Tenure in Western Samoa and Its Implications for Giant Clam Mariculture," in GiantClamsintheSustaindbleDlelopmentof theSouthPacific, ed. C. Tisdell (Rome: Australian Centre for Interna- tional Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, 1992), monograph no. 18, PP� 169-89. �. K P . 31. Ibid. r 32. M. King and N. O'Sullivan "Village Fisheries Extension Program: Informa- tion Sheet 1," (Western Samoan Fisheries Extension and Training Project, Apia, 1996) .
. 33. M. King, "May Update," (Western Samoan Fisheries Extension and Train- ing Project, Apia, 1997). b 34. Zann, "The Status of Coral Reefs in South Western Pacific Islands" (n. 7 above). 35. T. Coyne, TheEffectofUrbanisationandWesternDietontheHealthofPacificIslandPopulations (Noumea, New Caledonia: South Pacific Commission, 1984).