1. J. Bell, Aquaculture:ADevelopmentOpportunityforPacificIslands, (Noumea: Information Paper 19, 1 st SPC Heads of Fisheries Meeting, Noumea, New Caledonia, 9-13 August 1999, Secretariat for the Pacific Community, 1999). 2. K. R. Uwate, AquacultureDevelopmentinthePacificIslandsRegion, (Honolulu: Pacific Islands Development Programme, 1984).
3. R. Thistlethwaite and G. Votaw, EnvironmentandDevelopment: APacificIslandPerspective, (Manila: Asian Development Bank, 1992). 4. M. Lagibalavu, "Fiji country report," in T. Adams, (ed.), MeetingReport:FirstHeadso fFisheriesMeeting,9-13Aug ust1999 (Noumea: Secretariat for the Pacific Com- munity, 1999). 5. FAO, TheStateofWorldFisheriesandAquaculture (Rome: FAO Fisheries De- partment, Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, 1999).
6. S. Mario, personal communication. 2001.
7. Cap. 158 of the Laws of Fiji. 8. G. R. South and J. Veitayaki, "Fisheries in Fiji," in B. Lal and T. R. Vakatora (eds.), ResearchPapersoftheFijiConstitutionReview,Vol.1.FijiinTransition. (Suva: School of Social and Economic Development, The University of the South Pacific, 1998), pp. 291-311. 9. Lagibalavu (n. 4 above); MAFF, FijiFisheriesDivision-AnnualReport1997. (Suva: Fiji Fisheries Division, Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Forests and ALTA, 1997).
10. Cap. 132 of the Laws of Fiji. 11. United Nations Environment Programme, 1992. Available online: . 12. Fiji's Parliamentary processes have since resumed; however, the Sustain- able Development Bill still awaits introduction to Parliament.
13. T. Adams, "Outputs of the Meeting," in T. Adams (ed.), MeetingReport:FirstHeadsof FisheriesMeeting,9-13August1999. (Noumea: Secretariat for the Pacific Community, 1999).
14. P. J. Reay, Aquaculture. (London: Studies in Biology No. 106, Edward Ar- nold, 1979). 15. J. E. Bardach, J. H. Ryther and W. O. McLarney, Aquaculture:TheFarmingandHusbandryofFreshwaterandMarineOrganisms. (New York: Wiley-Interscience, 1972) .
16. Reay (n. 14 above).
17. FAO, FAOTechnicalGuidelinesforResponsibleFisheries5:AquacultureDevelop-ment (Rome: FAO Fisheries Department, Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, 1997), at p. 6.
18. Fisheries Task Force, FisheriesActReview,:PublicDiscussionDocunce�zt (Wel- lington: MAF Policy, Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Government of New Zealand, 1991).
19. South and Veitayaki (n. 8 above).
20.Ibid. 21. n. 7 above.
22. Fisheries Act, 1983 014. Commenced: 1 October 1983. Available online: . The new Part IVA on Marine Farming was inserted by the Fisheries Amendment Act 1993 067. Commenced: 7 July 1993. Available online: . 23. Marine Farming Act, 1971 029. Commenced: 1 January 1972.
24. South and Veitayaki (n. 8 above). 25. Muaikaba Fishing Cooperative (pers. comm.). (1997). 26. J. Hicks, "Fishing laws to change," TheFijiTimes (28 April 1999). 27. Full-page paid advertisement, "Blueprint for the Protection of Fijian & Rotuman Rights and Interests, and the Advancement of Their Development," TheDailyPost (14 July 2000).
28.RepublicofFijiandAttorney-GeneralofFijiv.ChandrikaPrasad, in the Court of Appeal, Fiji Islands on appeal from the High Court of Fiji Islands, (1 March 2001) Civil Appeal No. ABU0078 of 2000S. Judgement available online: (accessed 15 May 2002).