TEDITORS' NoTE.-This document was provided by the United Nations Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea (DOALOS). The source is "Oceans and the Law of the Sea: Report of the Secretary-General, Addendum, A56/58/Add.l, 5 October, 2001." Fifty- sixth session. Available online: .
1. Full texts of the declarations have been circulated through Depositary Notifications, and are available at the web site of the Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea of the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs (www.un.org/Depts/los) as well as that of the Treaty Section of the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs (www.un.org/Depts/Treaty).
2. MSC 74/24, annex 4, resolution MSC.119 (74).
3. The report of the Commission is available on its web site at www.icons.org.au. 4. LEG 83/4/1. 5. See NAV 47/13, paras. 3.63-3.66. 6. See IMO document MEPC 46/INF.35.
7. See NAV 47/13, paras. 12.28-12.33 and annexes 18 and 19. 8. See MSC 74/24, paras. 2.29 and 2.31. 9. For the text of the draft resolutions, see MSC 74/24, annexes 11 to 13.
10. See General Assembly resolution 55/255. 11. The report of the evaluation and assessment missions conducted in Jakarta and Sin- gapore is contained in IMO document MSC 74/17/1. 12. See MSC 74/24, sect. 17 and annexes 14 and 18.
13. First biannual report on the trafficking or transport of illegal migrants by sea issued by the IMO secretariat on the basis of incidents reported to the organization. IMO Circular MSC.3/Circ.l, available on the web site of IMO at www.imo.org/HOME.html. 14. See MSC 74/23/4. 15. See MSC 74/23/8. 16. See OfficialRecordsoftheEconomicandSocialCouncil,2001,SupplementNo.8 (El 2001/28-E/CN.7/2001/12), available on the web site of UNDCP at www.undcp.org/ cnd_documents.html.
17. IWC press release 2001, Final Press Release, http://ourworld.compuserve.com/ homepages/ iwcoffice / pressrelease2001.htm. 18. Ibid. 19. Excerpted from documents and press releases of the International Seabed Authority and information contained in its web site at www.isa.org jm.
24. The Condition Assessment Scheme was adopted on 27 April 2001 by resolution MEPC.g4 (46) . 25. For the text of the Convention, see IMO document LEG/CONF.12/19. . 26. For the discussions at the forty-sixth session of MEPC and the text of the draft conven- tion to be submitted to the conference, see MEPC 46/23, sect. 5 and annex 5.
27. The report of the third meeting is contained in document UNEP(DEC)/NEP/ EM.3/4. In order to facilitate the negotiating process, UNEP and the Division closely cooper- ated with respect to certain issues related to maritime jurisdiction. That cooperation was a good example of ensuring consistent approaches with a view to implementing UNCLOS, as called for by the General Assembly in resolution 55/7, para. 23. 28. The programme of work is contained in decision IV/5 adopted by the Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity. For the text see the web site of the secre- tariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity at www.biodiv.org. 29. The terms of reference are contained in SBSTTA recommendation V/14, annex II, available on the web site of the secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity at www.biodiv.org.
30. The proceedings of the workshop are available on the web site of the German Federal Agency for Nature Conservation at www.bfn.de/06/060301_workshoptp.htm. 31. See A/56/121, part B, para. 84. 32. For draft text of the guidelines, see IMO document MEPC 46/23, annex 6. 33. See IMO document NAV 47/13, annex 4. 34. The Kyoto Protocol will enter into force after it has been ratified by at least 55 parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, including industrial coun- tries accounting for 55 per cent of the total 1990 carbon dioxide emissions from the whole group of industrialized countries. As of the date of the present report, 37 countries have ratified, including one industrial country.
35. Excerpted from United Nations press releases and United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs documents. 36. See Official Records of the General Assembly, Fifty-sixth Session, Supplement No. 19 (A/56/19).