1. Peter S. Thacher and Nikki Meith-Avcin, "The Oceans: Health and Prognosis," in OceanYearbookl, ed. Elisabeth Mann Borgese and Norton Ginsburg (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1978), pp. 293-339.
2. The following UN bodies have worked in close cooperation with UNEP on the Regional Seas Programme: United Nations (UN); Economic Commission for Europe (ECE); UN Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO); UN Development Pro- gramme (UNDP); UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO); UN Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (Unesco); Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC of Unesco); World Health Organization (WHO); World Meteorologi- cal Organization (WMO); Inter-Governmental Maritime Consultative Organization (IMCO); and International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). In addition, the Interna- tional Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN), the World Tourist Organization (WTO), and the International Juridical Organization (IJO) have been involved in some aspects of the program. 3. The following discussion was adapted from S. Keckes, "Theory and Practice of the United Nations Environment Programme in Dealing with Regional Marine Prob- lems," unpublished manuscript (September 1977). Stjepan Keckes is the director of the Regional Seas Programme Activity Centre in Geneva.
4.MediterraneanActionPlan and the Final AcloftheConference of Plenipotentiaries oftheCoastalStatesof theMediterraneanRegionontheProtectionof theMediterraneanSea (Nairobi: UNEP, 1978); the latter document is also found in OceanYearbook1, pp. 702-33. 5.Reportof theIntergovernmentalReviewMeetingofMediterraneanCoastalStatesontheMediterraneanActionPlan (held in Monaco, January 9-14, 1978) (UNEP/IG.11/4) (Nairobi: UNEP, 1978). Annex 4 of this report, "Recommendations for the Future Development of the Mediterranean Action Plan," will be found in this volume of OceanYearbook, pp. 547-54. 6.ReportoftheIntergovernmentalReviewMeetingofMediterraneanCoastalStatesandFirstMeetingof theContractingPartiestotheConvention, fortheProtectionof theMediterraneanSeaagainstPollution and its related protocols (Geneva, February 5-10, 1979) (UNEP/IG. 14/9) (Nairobi: UNEP, 1979).
7. "Protocol for the Prevention of Pollution of the Mediterranean Sea by Dumping from Ships and Aircraft" and "Protocol concerning Co-operation in Combating Pollu- tion of the Mediterranean Sea by Oil and Other Harmful Substances in Cases of Emergency," in OceanYearbook1, pp. 724-33. 8.ProtectionoftheMediterraneanSeaagainstPollutionfromLand-basedSources: AWHO/UNEPSurveyofNationalLegislation (Nairobi: UNEP, 1976). 9.Reportof theIntergovernmentalConsultationconcerningaDraftProtocol fortheProtec-tionoftheMediterraneanSeaagainstPollutionfromLand-basedSources (Athens, February 7-11, 1977) (UNEP/IG.6/6) (Nairobi: UNEP, 1977). 10.Reportof theSecondIntergovernmentalConsultationconcerningaDraftProtocol fortheProtectionof theMediterraneanSeaagainstPollution fromLand-basedSources (Venice, Octo- ber 17-21, 1977) (UNEP/IG.19/5) (Nairobi: UNEP, 1977).
11. This refers to work being carried out by the UNEP Working Group of Experts on Environmental Law regarding corrective and preventive measures for pollution damage arising from offshore mining and drilling carried out in the areas within national jurisdiction. 12. IJO/UNEP Meeting of Experts on the Legal Aspects of Pollution Resulting from Exploration and Exploitation of the Continental Shelf and the Seabed and Its Subsoil in the Mediteranean (Rome, December 11-15, 1978).
13.ReportoftheWorkshoponOilPollutionContingencyPlanning fortheMediterraneanSea (Malta, September 4-7, 1978) (Nairobi: UNEP, 1978).
14. Pollutants fromLand-basedSourcesintheMediterranean:ReportPreparedinCollab-orationwithECE,UNIDO,FAO,UNESCO,WHO, IAEA (UNEP/IG.11/INF.5) (Nairobi: UNEP, 1977). 15. Co-ordinated Mediterranean Pollution Monitoring and Research Programme (MEDPOL), Reportof theMid-TermExpertConsultationonthe JointFAO(GFCM)/UNEPCo-ordinaledProjectonPollutionintheMediterranean(MEDII,III,IV,and Y) (Dubrovnik, May 2-13, 1977) (Rome: FAO, 1977). 16. (MEDPOL SummaryReportof theMid-TermReviewMeetingonIOC/WMO/UNEPandIOC/UNEPPilotProjectswithThreeSupplements (Barcelona, May 23-27, 1977) (IOC-WMO-UNEP/MED-MRM/3) (Paris: Unesco, 1977). 17.Mid-TermReviewofthe JointWHO/UNEPCo-ordinatedPilotProjectonCoastalWaterQualityControlintheMediterranean(report of the meeting of principal investigators of collaborating laboratories, Rome, May 30-June 1, 1977) (Geneva: WHO, 1977); see also WHO report in this volume, pp. 437-38. 18.ReportontheMid-TermReviewMeetingontheProgressof theCo-ordinatedMediterra-neanPollutionMonitoringandResearchPrograrnmeandRelatedProjectsof theMediterraneanActionPlan (Monaco, July 18-22, 1977) (UNEP/WG.11/5) (Nairobi: UNEP, 1977). 19. ReportonMeetingofExpertsonPollutantsfromLand-basedSources (Geneva, Sep- tember 19-24, 1977) (UNEP/WG.13/5) (Nairobi: UNEP, 1977). 20.ProceedingsofICSEM/UNEPjointWorkshoponPollutionoftheMediterranean (Antalya, November 24-27, 1978) (Monaco: ICSEM, 1979).
21. UNEP, DataProfiles for Chemicals, fortheEvaluationofTheirHazardstotheEnviron-mentof theMediterraneanSea, IRPTC Data Profile Series no. 1, vols. 1 and 2 (Nairobi: UNEP, 1978). 22. WHO, PrinciplesandGuidelines fortheDischargeofWastesintotheMarineEnviron-ment (Geneva: WHO, 1979). 23. Manual forMonitoringofOilandPetroleumHydrocarbonsinMarineWatersandonBeaches:Supplement toManualsandGuidesno. 7 (Paris: Unesco, 1977); Manualof MethodsinAquaticEnvironmentResearch, part 2, Guidelines fortheUseofBiologicalAccumulatorsinMarinePollutionMonitoring, FAO Fisheries Technical Paper no. 150 (Rome: FAO, 1976); ManualofMethodsinAquaticEnvironmentResearch, part 3, SamplingandAnalysisofBiologicalMaterial, FAO Fisheries Technical Paper no. 158 (Rome: FAO, 1976); ManualofMethodsinAquaticEnvironmentResearch, part 4, Bases forSelectingBiologicalTeststoEvaluateMarinePollution, FAO Fisheries Technical Paper no. 164 (Rome: FAO, 1977); ManualofSelectedBioassayTechniques (Rome: FAO, in press); Manual forInvestigationsofPollutionInducedModificationsofMarineEcosystems (Rome: FAO, in press); Guidelines forHealthRelatedMonitoringofCoastalWaterQuality (Geneva: WHO, 1977); ManualofMethodsinAquaticEnvironmentResearch, part 5, StatisticalTests, FAO Fisheries Technical Paper no. 182 (Rome: FAO, 1979).
26. Reportof theExpertConsultationonAquacultureDevelopmentsintheMediterraneanRegion (convened by the government of Greece in co-operation with FAO(GFCM) and UNEP, Athens, March 14-18, 1978) (UNEP/WG.15/5/Rev. 1) (Nairobi: UNEP, 1978).
30. UNEP, ReportonPollutants fro�nLand-basedSources (see n. 19 above). 31. Final ActoftheKuwaitRegionalConferenceofPlenipotentiariesontheProtectionandDevelopmentoftheMarineEnvironmentandtheCoastalAreas (Kuwait, April 15-23, 1978) (Nairobi: UNEP, 1978); will also be found in this vol., pp. 516-46. 32. Ibid., this vol., p. 527.
33. Ibid., this vol., pp. 537-43. 34. Ibid., this vol., pp. 521-27.
35. ReportojtheIOC/FAO/UNEPInternationalWorkshoponMarinePollutionintheCaribbeanandAdjacentRegions, IOC Workshop Report no. 11 (Port of Spain, December 13-17, 1976) (Paris: Unesco, 1977).
36. Reportof theInteragencyMeetingofthe JointUNEP/ECLACarribbeanEnvironmentProject (Mexico City, August 23-25, 1978) (Mexico City: ECLA, 1978).
37.SummaryReportoftheIOCAssociation fortheCaribbeanandAdjacentRegions (IOCARIBE), 2d sess. (San Jose, Costa Rica, August 7-11,1978, and Paris, December 22, 1978) (Paris: IOC, 1978). 38. FinalReportof theIMCO/UNEPInternationalWorkshoponthePrevention,AbatementandCombatingofPollution, fromShipsintheCaribbean (Cartagena, October 23-27, 1978) (London: IMCO, 1978).
39. ReportoftheIOC/FAO/WHO/UNEPInternationalWorkshoponMarinePollutionintheGulfofGuineaandAdjacentAreas, IOC Workshop Report no. 14 (Abidjan, May 2-9, 1978) (Paris: Unesco, 1978).
40. The term "East Asian Seas" refers to the oceanic embayments, gulfs, and semienclosed seas of both East and Southeast Asia. 41.Reporto/ the10(:/FflO(IPFC)/UNEPInternationalWorkshoponMarinePollutioninEastAsianWaters, IOC Workshop Report no. 8 (held at University Sains Malaysia, Penang, April 7-13, 1976) (Paris: Unesco, 1976).
42. ReportofftheASEANExpertsMeetingontheEnvironment (Jakarta, December 18-20, 1978) (Kuala Lumpur: ASEAN, 1978).
43. "Report on the UNESCO Regional Seminar on Human Uses of the Mangrove Environment and Management Implications" (Bansoc, Dacca, Bangladesh, December 4-8, 1978), unpublished document (Paris: Unesco, 1978).
44. ReportoftheCPPSIF,40110CIUNEPInternationalWorkshoponMarinePollutionintheSoutheastPacific, IOC Workshop Report no. 15 (Santiago de Chile, November 6-10, 1978) (Paris: Unesco, 1978).