1. Extracts from Activitiesof theUnitedNationsintheFieldofOceanEconomicsandTechnology (IOC/INF-413), a report prepared by the Ocean Economics and Technology Branch (OETB), Department of International Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations, for submission to the Assembly of the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of Unesco at its Eleventh Session (Paris, October 25-November 3, 1979). These extracts were edited and updated for the OceanYearbook by OETB. 2. E/Res.1802 (LV). The importance of coastal areas and the problems associated with their development are discussed in E/5648, 8 May 1975, CoastalAreaManagementandDevelopment:ReportoftheSecretary-General. 3. For a survey of some of these activities, see E/5650, 30 April 1975, Usesof theSea:StudypreparedbytheSecretary-General, paras. 58-59.
4. General Assembly Resolution 2749 (XXV), 17 December 1970. 5. See FAO document C 77/21, paras. 21-31.
6. General Assembly Resolution 2626 (XXV), 24 October 1970, "International Develop- ment Strategy for the Second United Nations Development Decade."
7. General Assembly Resolution 3202 (S-VI), 1 May 1974, "Programme of Action on the Establishment of a New International Economic Order." 8. A preliminary version of the report was issued under the symbol A/34/596.
9. The proceedings of the Group of Experts Meeting have been published as ManganeseNodules:DimensionsandPerspeclives, D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, Netherlands, 1979.
10. E/5972, 5 May 1977. Usesof theSea.NotebytheSecretary-Gereeral. The document annexes a concise report on progress in the field of marine science.
11. E/5648, 8 May 1975, CoastalAreaMaruagementandDevelopment,:ReportoftheSecretary-General. A summary report on the expert meeting, at which experts from the Gulf region, the Gulf of Guinea, the Malacca Region and the Southern Caribbean Atlantic region were repre- sented, is annexed to the study.