*Informal Draft, 17 September 1982. Prepared by the Secretariat for the President. 1.OfficialRecordsoftheGeneralAsseznbly,Twenty-thirdSession, agenda item 26. 2.Ibid.,Twenty-fourthSessiott,SupplementNos.22and22A.3.Ibid.,Twenty-sixthSession,SupplementNo.21 (document A/8421); Ibid,Twenty-seventhSes-
sion,SupplementNo.21 (document A/8721 and Corr. 1); and Ibid.,Twenty-eighthSession,SupplementNo.21 (document A/9021 (vols. I-V!)). 4. In addition it may be noted that the Conference was attended and assisted by observers from the United Nations Programmes and Conferences.
5. General Assembly resolution 3334 (XXIX) of 17 December 1974. 6. General Assembly resolution 3483 (XXX) of 12 December 1975. 7. Decision taken at the 69th meeting of the plenary on 7 May 1976 (see OfficialRecordsoftheThirdUnitedNationsConferenceontheLawof theSea, vol. V, A/CONF.62/SR.69). 8. General Assembly resolution 31/63 of 10 December 1976. 9. General Assembly resolution 32/194 of 20 December 1977. 10. Decision taken at the 106th meeting of the plenary on 19 May 1978 (see OfficialRecordsof lheThirdUnitedNationsConferenceontheLaoof theSea, vol. IX, A/CONF.62/SR.106). 11. General Assembly resolution 33/17 of 10 November 1978. 12. Decision taken at the 115th meeting of the plenary on 27 April 1979 (see OfficialRecordsof theThirdUnitedNationsConferenceontheLamof theSea, vol. XI, A/CONF.62/SR.115). 13. General Assembly resolution 34/20 of 9 November 1979. 14.Ibid. 15. General Assembly resolution 35/116 of 10 December 1980, and decision taken at the 147th meeting of the plenary on 20 April 1981 (A/CONF.62/SR.147). 16. General Assembly resolution 35/452 of 1 1 May 1981. 1. 17. General Assembly resolution 36/79 of 9 December 1981. 18. Decision taken at the 182nd meeting of the plenary on 30 April 1982 (A/CONF.62/ SR.182).
19. The list of States participating at each session is recorded in the appropriate report of the Credentials Committee.
20. Decision taken at the 38th meeting of the plenary on 1 1,July 1974, OfficialRecordsoftheThirdUnitedNationsConferenceo�atheGawof tiaeSea, vol. I, A/CONF.62/SR.38. 21. Ibid., vol. XIII, A/CONF.62/SR.122. 22. 86th closed meeting of the plenary held on 5 April 1978, in adopting resolution A/CONF.62/R.1 proposed by Nepal on behalf of the Asian Group, see ibid., vol. IX. footnote on page 3. 23. The General Assembly of the United Nations paid tribute to the memory of Ambassa- dor Hamilton Shirley Amerasinghe, President of the Conference since its inception, and prior to that, Chairman of the Committee on the Peaceful Uses of the Sea-Bed and the Ocean Floor beyond the Limits of National Jurisdiction (A/35/PV.82). The General Assembly of the United Nations thereafter established a memorial fellowship in his name (operative paras. I and 2 of A/RES.35/116 adopted on 10 December 1980 and preambular para. 3 and operative para. 6 of A/RES.36/79 adopted on 9 December 1981). See document A/36/697. 24. A/CONF.62/SR.143. 25. Ibid., vol. I, A/CONF.62/SR.2.
26. Decision taken at the 3rd meeting of the plenary on 10 December 1973 (see OfficialRecordsoftheThirdUnitedNationsConferenceontheGawoftheSea, vol. I, p. 9).
27. Economic implications of sea-bed mineral development in the international area: ibid., vol. III (A/CONF.62/25) dated 27 May 1974; economic implications of sea-bed mining in the international area: ibid., vol. IV (A/CONF.fi2/37) dated 18 February 1975; description of some types of marine technology and possible methods for their transfer: ibid., vol. IV (A/CONF.62/ C.3/L.22) dated 27 February 1975; draft alternative texts of the preamble and final clauses: ibid., vol. VI (A/CONF.62/L.13) dated 26 July 1976; annotated directory of intergovernmental organi- zations concerned with ocean affairs (A/CONF.62/L.14) dated 10 August 1976; alternative means of financing the Enterprise: ibid., vol. VI (A/CONF.62/C.1/L.17) dated 3 September 1976; costs of the Authority and contractual means of financing its activities, ibid., vol. VII (A/CONF.62/C.1/ L.19) dated 18 May 1977; manpower requirements of the Authority and related training needs, ibid., vol. XII (A/CONF.62/82) dated 17 August 1979; potential financial implications for States Parties to the future Convention on the Law of the Sea (A/CONF.62/L.65) dated 20 February 1981; effects of the production limitation formula under certain specified assumptions (A/ CONF.62/L.66) dated 24 February 1981 and (A/CO:\F.62/L.66/Corr.l) dated 3 March 1981; preliminary study illustrating various formulae for the definition of the continental shelf: ibid., vol. IX (A/CONF.62/C.2/L.98) dated 18 April 1978; map illustrating various formulae for the definition of the continental shelf (A/CONF.62/C.2/L.98/Add.l); calculation of areas illustrated beyond 200 miles in document A/CONF.62/C.2/L.98/Add.l, ibid., vol. IX, (A/CONF.62/C.2/L.98/ Add.2) dated 3 May 1978; communication received from the Secretary-General of the Inter- governmental Oceanographic Commission: ibid., vol. IX (A/CONF.62/C.2/L.98/Add.3) dated 28 August 1978; study of the implications of preparing large-scale maps for the Third United Nations Conference on the Law of the Sea: ibid., vol XI (A/CONF.62/C.2/L.99) dated 9 April 1979; study on the future functions of the Secretary-General under the Convention and on the needs of countries, especially developing countries, for information, advice, and assistance under the new legal regimes (A/CONF.62/L.76) dated 18 August 1981.
28.Ibid., vol. I. A/CONF.62/SR.24. 29. OfficialRecordsoftheGeneralAssembly,Twenty-eighthSession, A/PV.2169. 30.OfficialRecordsoftheThirdUnitedNationsConferenceontheLawoftheSea, vol. I, A/ CONF.62/SR.19. 3l. lbid., vol. 1. 32. Ibid.., vol. IV. 33.Ibid., vol. XIII. 34. Ibid.., vol. I, A/CONF.62/SR.15. 35. Decision taken at the 65th meeting of the I'lenary on 12 April 1976, ibid., vol. V, A/ CONF.62/SR.65. 36.Ibid.., vol. VI. A/CONF.62/SR.71.
37.Ibid., vol. VII. 38. Decision taken at the 79th meeting of the plenary on 28 June 1977, ibid., vol. VII. 1. 39. President's explanatory memorandum attached to A/CONF.62/WP.10/Rev.2, dated I I April 1980. 40.OfftcialRecordsoftheThirdUnitedNationsConferenceontheLawoftheSea, vol. IX, A/ CONF.62/SR.89 and 90. 41. The descriptions of the items are recorded in A/CONF.62/62, ibid., vol. X. 42. Ibid., vol. X. 43. The Group of Legal Experts on the Settlement of Disputes relating to Part XI of the Informal Composite Negotiating Text was established by the Chairman of the First Committee in consultation with the President as reflected at the 114th meeting of the plenary and in A/ CONF.62/C.1/L.25 and L.36, ibid., vol. XI.
44. The Group of Legal Experts on the Final Clauses was established by the President to deal with the technical aspects of the Final Clauses after their preliminary consideration in the informal Plenary as recorded at the 120th meeting of the plenary of 24 August 1979, ibid., vol. XII. 45. As referred to in paragraph 26 above and in the President's explanatory memorandum attached to A/CONF.62/WP.10/Rev.2. 46. Decision taken at the 141st meeting of the plenary on 29 August 1980, ibid., vol. XIV, A/ CONF.62/SR.141. 47.Ibid.., also referred to in A/CONF.62/BUR. 13/Re%-. 1.
48. At the resumed eighth session. 49. In adopting the programme of work (A/(:ONF.62/116) (see ibid., A/CONF.62/SR154).
50. Decision taken by the Conference at the 182nd meeting of the plenary on 30 April 1982 as well as its decision taken at the 183rd to ... 000th meetings on ... September 1982. 51. Draft resolution A/CONF.62/L.3 and Add. 1-4 adopted by the Conference at the 43rd meeting of the plenary on 22 July 1974, ibid., vol. I. 52. Draft resolution A/CONF.62/L.9 adopted by the Conference at the 51st meeting of the plenary on 28 August 1974, ibid., vol. I. 53. Draft Tribute A/CONF.62/L.15 adopted by the Conference at the 76th meeting of the plenary on 17 September 1976, ibid., vol. VI. 54. Draft resolution A/(:ONF.62/L.127 adopted by the Conference at the 182nd meeting of the plenary on 30 April 1982.