Hoverflies of the Northwest Europe is an updated edition with revisions to the text. It identifies the hoverflies of Northwest Europe and incorporates the knowledge that has been published in many articles over the past decades.
The book covers 500 species - nearly two thirds of the known European syrphid fauna. The main body of the book consists of dichotomous keys to all the hoverfly species found in the region, richly illustrated with drawings that show details as well as whole flies.
• What are hoverflies and how are they to distinguish from bees, wasps and other bees
• Where are they found? (forests, woodlands, marshes, peatlands and bogs, meadows, grasslands, gardens
• When is the best time to find and see hoverflies?
• Collecting and preservering specimens
• Early stages (eggs and larvae)
• How to use this book?
• The hoverfly body
• Identification keys to the genera and 500 species of Northwest Europe
• richly illustrated with drawings that show details as well as whole flies