The Netherlands are a small country, characterized by a large diversity of fresh to slightly brackish, oligo- to hypereutrophic stagnant and flowing inland waters. This diversity is reflected in a remarkable richness of phytoplankton species with blue-green algae as an important component.
Identification of phytoplankton frequently brings on serious problems, due to the scarcity of up-to-date floras. This book, written by an acknowledged Dutch phytoplankton expert, presents a new modern approach to the identification of phytoplankton of The Netherlands.
• treats 95 species belonging to 23 genera of non-filamentous blue-green algae in the plankton of Dutch inland waters including one new genus and 15 new species
• nomenclature according to modern insights and in agreement with international rules
• 500 original black-and-white photographs show all the details necessary for light-microscopical identification
• contains an identification key to the species and comparing every species to similar forms
• information on ecology and occurrence in different water types
• relevant literature references