Over the last decade, Finland’s educational system has become internationally recognised. Different countries have shown an interest in learning about the Finnish education system to gain a better understanding of how education is developed, planned and executed in that country. The Introduction to the Finnish Educational System aims to describe how the education system in Finland was built and what kind of aspects influence learning and teaching today. The authors of the chapters are academics and experts in the fields of teacher education or vocational education. The book presents a review of the historical and current aspects of the educational system of Finland. As such, it describes the learning path from compulsory education to vocational education and primary school teacher education, which is one of the main focuses of the Faculty of Education at the University of Lapland. Each chapter is based on its authors’ research results, which are adapted for inclusion in this book. It answers an international call to provide an in-depth description of the National Finnish Education System from its beginning to today and to discuss the practical implications of these measures.
Contributors are: Heikki Ervast, Marjaana Kangas, Pigga Keskitalo, Otso Kortekangas, Minna Körkkö, Outi Kyrö-Ämmälä, Pertti Lakkala, Suvi Lakkala, Merja Paksuniemi, Rauna Rahko-Ravantti, Päivi Rasi, and Heli Ruokamo.
Merja Paksuniemi, Ph.D. (2009), University of Lapland, is a Senior Lecturer at the Faculty of Education.
Pigga Keskitalo, Ph.D. (2010), Sámi University College Norway and University of Lapland, is an Associate Professor at the Sámi University of Applied Sciences.
List of Figures and Tables Introduction Merja Paksuniemi and Pigga Keskitalo
1. Milestones of Basic Education in Finland: Pedagogy, Structure and Language Otso Kortekangas, Merja Paksuniemi and Heikki Ervast
2. Tracing Inclusive Education and its Prerequisites in the Finnish Education System Suvi Lakkala
3. Finnish Vocational Education and Training in Transition Pertti Lakkala and Suvi Lakkala
4. Initial Teacher Education at the University of Lapland Outi Kyrö-Ämmälä
5. Introduction to Sámi Education Rauna Rahko-Ravantti and Pigga Keskitalo
6. Immigrant Students in the Finnish Educational System Minna Körkkö
7. Promoting Multiliteracy in the Finnish Educational System Päivi Rasi, Marjaana Kangas and Heli Ruokamo
All interested in the educational system of Finland, especially teachers, teacher educators, student teachers and administrators around the world.