In the immense literature on globalization, the work of Roland Robertson stands out. In particular, his insistence that globalization manifests itself primarily as glocalization, the simultaneity of the global and the local, of homogenization and heterogenization continues to influence how a wide variety of observers understand the process, including those who contest it. In honour of Robertson’s lifetime contributions, this volume brings together a set of essays that demonstrate the cogency of his approach, point out directions in which it can be further developed, and illustrate the insight it can provide in topics as varied as religion, football, wine, morality, and UFOs.
Contributors include: Peter Beyer, John Boli, Didem Buhari Gulmez, Rebecca Catto, Richard Giulianotti, Ulf Hannerz, David Inglis, Paul James, Habibul Haque Khondker, Anne Sophie Krossa, Frank Lechner, Kristian Naglo, John H. Simpson, Manfred B. Steger, and George M. Thomas.
Peter Beyer (PhD, FRSC) is Professor Emeritus of Religious Studies at the University of Ottawa, Canada. He has authored many works on religion and globalization, including Religion and Globalization (Sage, 1994) and Religions in Global Society (Routledge, 2006).
List of Figures and Tables
Notes on Contributors
1. INTRODUCTION - GLOBALIZATION: A LATE TWENTIETH CENTURY NEOLOGISM
2. THE GLOBAL-GLOCAL NEXUS IN WORLD SOCIETY
Didem Buhari Gulmez
3. ANYWHERES, SOMEWHERES AND THE FACES OF COSMOPOLITANISM
4. THE CHALLENGES OF PERIODIZING GLOBALIZATION
Manfred B. Steger
5. GLOBALIZATION AND THE GREAT UNSETTLING
6. RELATIVIZING EFFECTS OF GLOBALIZATION, IMAGES OF THE GLOBAL FIELD, AND RELIGIOUS RESPONSES
George M. Thomas
7. THE CHANGING WORLD OF THEORY Frank J. Lechner
8. GLOCAL POWER AND THE SOCIOLOGY OF RELIGION: HOW ROBERTSON’S THEORY OF GLOBALIZATION HELPS US TO SEE BEYOND SECULARIZATION
9. A SOCIOLOGY OF BELIEF FROM AN EVOLUTIONARY PERSPECTIVE
John H. Simpson
10. GLOBALITY AND THE PROBLEM OF GLOBAL MORALITY
Habibul Haque Khondker
11. STYLING GLOCALIZATION: GLOBAL FOOTBALL AND THE RELATIVE AUTONOMY OF PLAYING STYLES
12. PERCEPTIONS OF INTEGRATION IN THE GLOCAL WORLD OF FOOTBALL
Annie Sophia Krossa and Kristian Naglo
13. ON WINE, GLOBALIZATION, AND GLOCALIZATION: LONG-TERM DEVELOPMENTS AND PRESENT-DAY CONTROVERSIES
14. SMALL PLANET IN THE VASTNESS OF SPACE: GLOBALIZATION AND THE PROLIFERATION OF UFOS, ALIENS, AND EXTRATERRESTRIAL THREATS TO HUMANITY
BIBLIOGRAPHY OF ROLAND ROBERTSON’S ACADEMIC PUBLICATIONS
Academic specialists and graduate students in social sciences and humanities, academic libraries.