To support emerging scholars, Brill organizes several awards and competitions each year. Below you find an overview of these awards, linking to pages with instructions, previous winners and more.
- Middle East & Islam Studies Early-Career Paper Prize
- Frank Gibney Award in American-East Asian Relations
Brill works closely with the Scaliger Institute, and sponsors the Brill Fellowship program. One or two Brill Fellows can be appointed each year to conduct research in the Special Collections of the Leiden University Library within one of the publishing areas of Brill in the humanities. You can read about Brill's work with the Scaliger Institute here. There you can also find further information about the Fellowship conditions and the application procedure.
Brill’s Award-winning Titles
Choice “Outstanding Academic Titles” 2017
- A Handbook of the World's Conifers (2 vols.): Revised and Updated Edition. Aljos Farjon
- The Dispersion: A History of the Word Diaspora. Stéphane Dufoix, University of Paris Ouest Nanterre
- Fire over Luoyang: A History of the Later Han Dynasty 23-220 AD. Rafe de Crespigny, Australian National University
- A Companion to Public Theology. Edited by Sebastian Kim, York St John University, and Katie Day, Lutheran Theological Seminar, Philadelphia
- Cassius Dio: Greek Intellectual and Roman Politician. Edited by Carsten Hjort Lange, Aalborg University, and Jesper Majbom Maden, University of Southern Denmark
- Marxism and Criminology: A History of Criminal Selectivity. Valeria Vegh Weis, New York University, Buenos Aires University, Quilmes University and Argentinean Policeman University
Choice “Outstanding Academic Titles” 2016
- Encyclopaedia of Islam Online: Third edition. Edited by Kate Fleet, Gudrun Krämer, Denis Matringe, John Nawas and Everett Rowson
- The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek. Franco Montanari, English Edition edited by Madeleine Goh and Chad Schroeder, under the auspices of the Center for Hellenic Studies, Harvard University. Advisory Editors: Gregory Nagy and Leonard Muellner
- Contesting the Yellow Dragon: Ethnicity, Religion, and the State in the Sino-Tibetan Borderland. Xiaofei Kang and Donald S. Sutton
Forschungspreis der Annemarie Schimmel-Stiftung für Islamkunde 2017
- Die Rifāʽīya aus Damaskus: Eine Privatbibliothek im osmanischen Syrien und ihr kulturelles Umfeld. Boris Liebrenz
The Gourmand Cookbooks Awards 2017, in the category 'Food Safety'
- Food Safety Law in China: Making Transnational Law. Francis Snyder
Caforio prize for the best book in armed forces and civil-military relations published between 2015 and 2016
- On Military Memoirs: A Quantitative Comparison of International Afghanistan War Autobiographies, 2001-2010. Esmeralda Kleinreesink
The 2017 Verbruggen Prize for the best book on medieval military history
- Montfort: History, Early Research and Recent Studies of the Principal Fortress of the Teutonic Order. Edited by Adrian J. Boas, with the assistance of Rabei G. Khamisy
De la Court Prize 2016 by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
The 2016 Conover-Porter Award
- The Arabic Literature of Africa Volume 5: The Writings of Mauritania and the Western Sahara. Compiled by Charles C. Stewart with Sidi Ahmed ould Ahmed Salim and the assistance of Mohamed Nouhi, Babacar Mbengue, Abdel Wedoud ould Cheikh and Bruce S. Hall.
The 2nd Professor Josef Kreiner Hosei University Award for International Japanese Studies