Forthcoming Full Open Access Journal: Journal of Material Cultures in the Muslim World
Brill has entered into a partnership with The Aga Khan University Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations, (London, UK) and the Aga Khan Museum (Toronto, Canada) to publish a new peer-reviewed, academic journal called Journal of Material Cultures in the Muslim World (MCMW) in full open access. With the support of the University and the Museum, all author charges will be waived.
The Journal of Material Cultures in the Muslim World aims to be a new reference for field archaeologists, (art) historians, anthropologists, curators, and scholars and students of the archeology, (art) history, architecture, anthropology and ethnography of the Muslim world. This readership represents a new broader definition of material culture that includes not only artefacts, architectural structures and monuments, but also crafts. The journal aims to inform (other) disciplines and historiographies, for example by also including archaeological field surveys.
The journal also focuses on un(der)explored Muslim regions outside of the Middle East and North Africa: sub-Saharan Africa, the Indian Ocean, Central Asia, India, Southeast Asia and Europe.
The journal accepts submissions in English, French, German and Spanish and short reports in Arabic, Persian and Turkish with an English abstract.
Submissions should be sent to the Editor-in-Chief, Stéphane Pradines, at Stephane.Pradines@aku.edu.
Frequency: 1 volume per year, 2 issues per volume.
Expected date of publication of the inaugural double issue: October 2020.
Print ISSN: 2666-6278
Online ISSN: 2666-6286
2020 Pricing and Purchase Options
- Online: Open Access
- Print: € 250 / US$ 293
- Online: Open Access
- Print: € 76/ US$ 92
- Stéphane Pradines, Professor of Islamic Art, Architecture & Archaeology at the Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations, The Aga Khan University (AKU-ISMC), London, UK
- Ulrike Al-Khamis, Director of Collections and Public Programs, Aga Khan Museum, Toronto, Canada
- Anna Contadini, Professor of Islamic Art, SOAS, London, UK
- Mounia Chekhab Abudaya, Curator, Museum of Islamic Art, Doha, Qatar
- Marcus Milwright, Professor, University of Victoria, Canada
- Sami Abdel Malik, Director General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities in Sinai and Lecturer at Al-Arish University, Egypt
- Jorge Alves, Professor Auxiliar, Catholic University of Portugal, Lisbon, Portugal
- Felix Arnold, German Archaeological Institute, Madrid, Spain
- Deniz Beyazit, Associate Curator, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, USA
- Sheila Blair, Norma Jean Calderwood University Professor of Islamic and Asian Art (Emerita), Boston College, USA
- Sibel Bozdoğan, Professor, History of Art & Architecture, Boston University, USA
- Annabelle Collinet, Collection Manager, Department of Islamic Art Louvre Museum, Paris, France
- Elarbi Erbati, Professor, Institut national des sciences de l'archéologie, Rabat, Morocco
- François-Xavier Fauvelle, Professor, Collège de France, Paris, France
- Corisande Fenwick, Lecturer, University College London, UK
- Alison Gascoigne, Associate Professor, University of Southampton, UK
- Denis Genequand, Director of the Research Centre and Roman Museum, Avenches, Switzerland.
- Margaret Graves, Associate Professor, Indiana University, USA
- Christiane Gruber, Professor and Chair, History of Art Department, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
- Renata Holod, Professor, Curator, Near East Section, Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Ellen Kenney, Associate Professor, American University in Cairo, Egypt
- Alberto León Muñoz, Professor, University of Cordoba, Spain
- Francesca Leoni, Curator, Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, UK
- Jean-Michel Mouton, Professor, École Pratique des Hautes Études, Paris, France
- Stephennie Mulder, Associate Professor, University of Texas, USA
- Julio Navarro Palazón, Laboratorio de Arqueología y Arquitectura de la Ciudad, Escuela de Estudios Árabes (CSIC), Granada, Spain
- Andrew Petersen, Professor, University of Wales, UK
- Yves Porter, Professor, University of Aix-en-Provence, France
- Nasser Rabbat, Professor of Islamic Architecture, Aga Khan, MIT, USA
- Rocco Rante, Archeologist, Department of Islamic Art Louvre Museum, Paris, France
- Mariam Rosser-Owen, Curator, Victoria and Albert Museum, London, UK
- Axelle Rougeulle, Chargée de recherche, CNRS, UMR 8167, Paris, France
- Marie-Odile Rousset, Archeologist, CNRS, Lyon, France
- Annabel Teh Gallop, Curator, British Library, London, UK
- Avinoam Shalem, Professor, Columbia University, New York, USA
- Rehab ElSiedi, Lecturer of Islamic Art and Archaeology, Faculty of Archaeology, Cairo University, Egypt
- Ahmad al-Shoki, Associate Professor of Islamic Art and Architecture, Former General Director of the Museum of Islamic Art, Cairo, Egypt
- Sharon C. Smith, Head, Distinctive Collections, Arizona State University, USA
- Cristina Tonghini, Lecturer, University of Ca' Foscari, Venice, Italy
- Oliver Watson, Professor of Islamic Art and Architecture, Khalili Research Centre for the Art and Material Culture of the Middle East (Emeritus), University of Oxford, UK
- Bing Zhao, Researcher, CNRS, Paris, France