The southern hemisphere has been divided into six Areas for baleen whale management purposes. It was assumed that of the different baleen whale species one population lives in each Area. However, evidence exists which suggests that different Fin Whale populations intermingle on the feeding grounds of anArea. This obviously would have implications with respect to Fin Whale management.
The present study examines the effects of gestational age and birthweight status on the development of infant and maternal behaviour as well as the (mutual) predictability between partners during face-to-face interaction at 6, 12 and 18 weeks of corrected age. Subjects are healthy fullterm infants (N = 6) and three groups of healthy preterm infants: small-for-gestational age (N = 6), and appropriate for gestational age, the latter being born after a pregnancy duration of less than 32 weeks (N = 6) or between 32 and 34 weeks (N = 6). Using dyadic sequential analyses, based on log-linear modelling and information statistics, for each individual infant-mother pair at each age, the effect of both partners on the behaviour of the other was quantified, while accounting for autocorrelational effects. In the majority of cases the interactions could be labelled as showing 'bidirectionality', particularly at 18 weeks. Mothers were more likely to be influenced by the previous behaviour of the infants than vice versa. No group differences were apparent in the way mothers were influenced by their infants. However, the small-for-gestational age preterm infants were less likely to be influenced by maternal behaviour, particularly at 6 and 12 weeks of age. A lower variability was the most common finding in infants who were not predictable from the previous behaviour of the mother. At 6 and 12 weeks they were less expressive and more often showed a monotonous behavioural pattern in which 'looking at mother's face without positive expressions' was shown during most of the interaction. As this lack of variability was more often found in SGA preterm infants, they were less predictable from their mother's behaviour than the fullterm and AGA preterm infants. These data suggest that having a low birthweight for gestational age may be a risk factor for a lack of 'bidirectionality' during early mother-infant interaction.
Variability for pathogenicity on seven Solanum bulbocastanum clones was studied in a collection of isolates of Meloidogyne chitwoodi and M. fallax from a wide range of geographical origins. Four different pathotypes could be distinguished within M. chitwoodi, while no specialisation was found in M. fallax. Meloidogyne chitwoodi isolates from the USA showed the largest variation; those from Europe belonged to one pathotype. In several M. chitwoodi isolates, the occurrence of pathotype mixtures was verified and for the first time reported in automictic Meloidogyne spp. The infrequently formed egg masses in incompatible isolate-plant genotype combinations were not able to reproduce further on various S. bulbocastanum genotypes, suggesting some stability aspects of the resistance. The occurrence of pathotypes and mixtures of pathotypes requires special attention in breeding programmes as well as in disease management.
- Wouter E.A. van Beek, Henri Maurier, Philosophie de L’Afrique Noire (2ème éd.), St. Augustin: Anthropos Institut, 1985.
- Wouter E.A. van Beek, A.M. Hocart, Imagination and proof. Selected essays of A.M. Hocart, Edited and with an introduction by Rodney Needham, Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1987. 130 pp.
- Martin van Bruinessen, B.B. Hering, Studies on Indonesian Islam, Occasional Paper no. 19, Centre for Southeast Asian Studies, James Cook University of North Queensland, Townsville (Australia), 1986, 50 pp.
- Martin van Bruinessen, B.B. Hering, Studies on Islam, Occasional Paper no. 22, Centre for Southeast Asian Studies, James Cook University of North Queensland, Townsville (Australia), 1987, 94 pp.
- Martin van Bruinessen, L.B. Venema, Islam en macht: Een historisch-anthropolische perspectief, Assen/Maastricht: Van Gorcum, 1987.
- H.J.M. Claessen, Colin Renfrew, Peer polity interaction and socio-political change, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1986. 179 pp., maps, ills., index, bibl., John F. Cerry (eds.)
- H. Dagmar, Fred R. Myers, Pintupi country, Pintupi self; Sentiment, place and politics among Western Desert aborigines, Washington etc.: Smithsonian Institution Press, Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies.
- Mies Grijns, Rosanne Rutten, Women workers of Hacienda Milagros; Wage labor and household subsistence on a Philippine sugar cane plantation. Publikatieserie Zuid- en Zuidoost-Azie no. 30, Amsterdam: Anthropologisch-Sociologisch Centrum, Universiteit van Amsterdam, 1982, x + 187 pp.
- Mies Grijns, Ann Laura Stoler, Capitalism and confrontation in Sumatra’s plantation belt, 1870-1979, Newhaven: Yale University Press, 1985, xii + 244 pp.
- Nico de Jonge, Rodney Needham, Mamboru. History and structure in a domain of Northwestern Sumba. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1987, 202 pp.
- Anton Ploeg, Kenneth E. Read, Return to the high valley. Coming full circle. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1986. xxi + 269 pp.
- Rien Ploeg, Tom R. Zuidema, La Civilisation Inca au Cuzco, Collège de France, Essais et Conférences, Paris: Presses Universitaires de France, 1986.
- Harry A. Poeze, E.E. van Delden, Klein repertorium; Index op tijdschriftartikelen met betrekking tot voormalig Nederlands-Indië, samengesteld door E. E. van Delden. Amsterdam: Koninklijk Instituut voor de Tropen. Deel 1, Tijdschrift voor het Binnenlandsch Bestuur 1887-1900, 1986, 79 pp. Deel 2, Tijdschrift voor het Binnenlandsch Bestuur 1900-1909, 1986 80 pp. Deel 3, Tijdschrift voor het Binnenlandsch Bestuur 1910-1917, 1987, 80 pp.
- Harry A. Poeze, J.J.P. de Jong, Diplomatie of strijd; Een analyse van het Nederlands beleid tegenover de Indonesische revolutie 1945-1947. Amsterdam: Boom, 531 pp.
- Harry A. Poeze, D.C.L. Schoonoord, De Mariniersbrigade 1943-1949; Wording en inzet in Indonesië. ‘s-Gravenhage: Afdeling Maritieme Historie van de Marinestaf.
- R. de Ridder, Edmundo Magaña, Myth and the imaginary in the new world, Amsterdam: CEDLA, Latin America Studies no. 34, 1986. 500 pp. 64 ills., Peter Mason (eds.)
- P.G. Rivière, Edmundo Magaña, Contribuciones al estudio de la mitología y astronomía de los indios de las Guayanas, Dordrecht-Providence: Foris Publications. 1987.
- A. de Ruijter, P.E. de Josselin de Jong, Generalisatie in de culturele antropologie (Afscheidscollege ter gelegenheid van het neerleggen van het ambt van hoogleraar in de sociale wetenschappen aan de Rijksuniversiteit van Leiden op 12 juni 1987), 1987, Leiden: E.K. Brill.
- Mary F. Somers Heidhues, Yoe-Sioe Liem, Überseechinesen - eine minderheit: Zur erforschung interethnischer vorurteile in Indonesien, Aachen: Edition Herodot im Rader-Verlag, 1986.
- N.J.M. Zorgdrager, H. Beach, Contributions to circumpolar studies. Uppsala Research Reports in Cultural Anthropology no. 7, 1986. 181 pages.