The aim of this article is to establish the existence, in the Korean language, of a marker of pluralization TUL, which acts either as a nominal suffix, or as a thematic particle.
The nominal suffix (NS) is the marker of an operation of local pluralization limited to the suffixed noun, whereas the thematic particle (TP) is that of an operation of global pluralization enlarged to the whole sentence.
The main characteristics of the NS are:
- its limitation in use to the case of undetermined plurality.
- its obligatory (and not optional as often stated) use in some contexts (with the deictics for example)
- its compatibility with animate nouns
The main characteristics of the TP are :
- its mobility, since it may be attached to nearly any element in the sentence.
- its commun distributionwith the other Korean thematic particles
- more than strictly grammatical enunciative function.