[A] fine-grained, expert-level analysis of several of the most intricate legal and policy issues arising in connection with the 1993 Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC)[...] this book is an excellent addition to the literature ...'
The American Journal of International Law, 94:1 (2000).
Part I: General Issues.
1. The Chemical Weapons Convention: A General Overview;
2. The Negotiations on the Chemical Weapons Convention: A Historical Overview;
3. On-Site Inspections as a Form of Verification in Arms Control Agreements;
4. Verification in the `Global Commons': Existing Regimes;
5. The Law of IAEA Safeguards: A Framework for the Legal Problems of Chemical Weapons Verification?
Part II: The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.
6. The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons;
A. de Guttry.
7. The Preparatory Commission for the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons;
8. The Work of the Preparatory Commission, the Provisional Technical Secretariat and Preparations for Entry Into Force;
T. Dunworth, et al. Part III: Destruction of Chemical Weapons.
9. The Destruction of Chemical Weapons and Chemical Weapons Production Facilities;
10 Old and Abandoned Chemical Weapons;
Part IV: The Verification System.
11. Routine Verification under the Chemical Weapons Convention;
12. Challenge Inspections and Investigations of Alleged Use;
13. Conflict Management and the Chemical Weapons Convention;
Part V: Special Problems.
14. National Trial Inspections and the Verification System of the Chemical Weapons Convention;
15. Protection of Confidential Information and the Chemical Weapons Convention;
16. The Chemical Weapons Convention and Its Application in Time of Armed Conflict;
Part VI: Reactions to Non-Compliance.
17. Reactions to Non-Compliance with the Chemical Weapons Convention;
Part VII: The Chemical Weapons Convention and International Economic Relations.
18. Control By States Parties over Private Extra-Territorial Activities: Issues of Jurisdiction and International Responsibility;
19. National Regulations on Export Controls and the Chemical Weapons Convention;
20. Economic and Technological Development and Trade in Chemicals;
Part VIII: Implementation of the Chemical Weapons Convention.
21. National Implementation of the Chemical Weapons Convention;
22. Implementing the Chemical Weapons Convention in the EEC Context;
Part IX: Conclusions.
M. Bothe, et al. Index.