This three-volume work is concerned with the rules of international law governing the exploitation of the energy and mineral resources to be found on and under the sea-bed.
Volume 3 complements the previous two volumes by making available a selection of the principal documents referred to in volume 1
TheContinental Shelf and volume 2
Sea-Bed Mining. The documents are arranged in three Parts. Part 1 includes document on the continental shelf and the exclusive economic zone; Part 2 covers the United Nations regime for the Area beyond the limits of national jurisdiction, including the landmark Mining Code adopted in July 2000; and Part 3 has a selection of national legislation on sea-bed mining and related co-ordinating treaties. Also included is a table showing the status, as at 1 October 2000, of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, 1982 and the 1994 Agreement relating to the Implementation of the UN Convention.
This volume will be a useful practical tool for academics, practitioners, and policy-makers concerned with the legal regime governing sea-bed energy and minerals and presents a carefully selected set of documents indispensable for a full understanding of the regimes analysed in the earlier volumes.
A very useful and handy collection of legal documents both with respect to the international and national level of deep seabed mining developments.'ENATRES.
Part 1: Selected Documents on the ContinentalShelf and the Exclusive Economic Zone.1. Truman Proclamation on the Continental Shelf (Presidential Proclamation No. 2667, 28 September 1945).
2. Geneva Convention on the Continental Shelf, 1958.
3. United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, 1982.
4. United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, 1982.
5. Protocol for the Suppression of Unlawful Acts against the Safety of Fixed Platforms Located on the Continental Shelf, 1988.
6. IMO Guidelines and Standards for the Removal of Offshore Installations and Structures of the Continental Shelf and in the Exclusive Economic Zone - Vol. 1, p. 404.
7. Oslo Commission Guidelines for the Disposal of Offshore Installations at Sea - Vol. 1, p. 409.
8. Table of Treaties on Delimitation of Maritime Zones Arranged on a Regional Basis - Vol. 1, p. 439.
9. Alphabetical Index of Treaties on Delimitation of Maritime Zones - Vol. 1, p. 470.
Part 2: Selected Documents onthe United Nations Regime for the Area Beyond the Limits of NationalJurisdiction.10. Note Verbale of 17 August 1967 from Malta to UN Secretary-General (A/6695, 18 August 1967).
11. Declaration of Principles Governing the Sea-Bed and the Ocean Floor and the Subsoil thereof beyond the Limits of National Jurisdiction, adopted by the UN General Assembly on 17 December 1970 (A/RES/2749 (XXV)).
12. United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, 1982.
13. United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, 1982.
14. Final Act of UNCLOS III: Annex I.
15. Understanding on Resolution of Conflicts among Applicants for Registration as Pioneer Investors, 31 August 1984.
16. Declaration Adopted by the Preparatory Commission on 30 August 1985.
17. New York Understanding of 5 September 1986: Statement of the Preparatory Commission on the Implementation of Resolution II.
18. The Midnight Agreement, with Exchanges of Notes.
19. Certificate of Registration as a Pioneer Investor of Institut français de recherche pour l'exploitation de la mer, 16 May 1988.
20. Understanding on the Fulfilment of Obligations by the Registered Pioneer Investors and their Certifying States, 30 August 1990.
21. Memorandum of Understanding between Belgium, Canada, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the United States, on the one hand, and China, on the other hand, on the Avoidance of Overlaps and Conflicts Relating to Deep Sea-Bed Areas, 22 February 1991.
22. General Assembly Resolution A/48/263 of 28 July 1994 on Agreement Implementing Part XI of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
23. Agreement of 28 July 1994 Relating to the Implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea of 10 December 1982 (Implementation Agreement).
24. Preparatory Commission: Report on the Status of the Implementation of the Obligations of the Registered Pioneer Investors under Resolution II and the Related Understandings Prepared by the Secretariat, 23 September 1994.
25. Regulations on Prospecting and Exploration for Polymetallic Nodules in the Area (Mining Code), 13 July 2000.
Part 3: National Legislation on Sea-BedMining and Co-ordinating Treaties.26. United States.
28. United Kingdom.
33. Treaties Co-ordinating National Legislation. Tables.