Hundreds of richly decorated ivory and bone fragments from furniture and parts from at least three crossed-leg chairs, survived under seawater in an apsidal room at Kenchreai, the Eastern port of ancient Corinth. These excavated remains include fragments of an incised bone panel with a scene of an emperor and attendants, a thiasos, bucolic and hunt scenes, seated philosophers, erotes, and a miniature ivory Corinthian order supporting a bone arcade decorated with erotes. Decorative moldings and large bone rings suggest that most of these belonged to a luxuriously decorated chest. Dating to the fourth century, these objects provide an important addition to our knowledge of the artistic production of late Roman Egypt and the working of ivory, bone, and wood.
Wilma Olch Stern, Ph.D. (1975) Indiana University, Bloomington, is adjunct assistant professor of classical archaeology at Pennsylvania State University. She has published on Greek and Roman sculpture including Ancient Art from the V.G. Simkhovitch Collection (Indiana University Art Museum, 1988).
Danae Hadjilazaro Thimme (1938-1998) Dipl. (1964) Institute of Archaeology, University of London, was the Associate Director for Conservation of the Indiana University Art Museum and a Fellow, International Institute for Conservation, in recognition of her international fieldwork and museum accomplishments.
Classical archaeologists; scholars of ancient ivory, bone, furniture, and silver; Byzantinists; Egyptologists; curators and art historians; historians of Greece, Rome and Late Antiquity; academic research, museum, and archaeological institute libraries.