A Guide to Documents on the Arab-Palestinian/Israeli Conflicts: 1897-2008, is a comprehensive non-partisan compilation designed to provide relevant legal and historical source material pertaining to this conflict. Each document is summarized for the reader’s benefit. The compilation contains all United Nations Resolutions and Reports, Treaties and Agreements, as well as historic documents that are difficult to obtain.
To put the conflict into perspective, a chronology of events is provided, followed by an objective analysis of the historical background, including discussion of the various phases of the conflict, strategic considerations, and an analysis of the prospects for peace. The 690 documents summarized with official citations are the most extensive compilation covering the period from 1897 through 2008, including some key texts on Jerusalem dating back to earlier times. The documents are organized according to the conflict’s major topic areas with introductory notes for each part and section.
M. Cherif Bassiouni and Shlomo Ben Ami have had a long history of involvement in the peace process. Their combined expertise and personal experiences add a unique dimension to this book that will provide anyone interested in the conflict with a distinct easy-to-use comprehensive compilation of relevant documents.
Shlomo Ben-Ami, D.Phil (Oxon. 1974) is a former Israeli foreign minister who now serves as the vice-president of the Toledo International Centre for Peace. An Oxford trained historian who published extensively on modern Spanish history, Prof. Ben-Ami has dedicated the last years to the study of the Arab-Israeli conflict. His last book is,
Scars of War, Wounds of Peace: The Israeli-Arab Tragedy (Oxford University Press, 2005).
Table of contents
Authors’ Preface; Acknowledgements; Introduction; Glossary of Terms; Table of Documents; List of Abbreviations and Acronyms;
Part I. Chronology;
Part II. Arab-Israeli Conflict in Perspective:
1. Historical Background;
2. Open Conflict;
3. Palestinian Popular Uprisings or
4. Palestinian-Israeli Peace Process;
6. Israel’s Political/Military Strategy;
7. Israeli Territorial Settlements;
9. Prospects for Peace;
Part III. The Documents:
1. Antecedents to the League of Nations Mandate for Palestine: 1897–1922;
2. Period of the League of Nations Mandate for Palestine: 1922–1948;
3. Arab-Israeli Wars: 1948–2007;
4. Arab-Israeli Peace Process: 1967–2008;
5. Arms Control and Regional Security: 1948–2002;
6. Jerusalem and the Holy Sites: 636–2008;
7. Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process: 1982–2008;
8. Status of the Palestinians: 1948–2008;
Intifadas (Uprisings): 1987–2004;
About the Authors.