This is the first detailed and complete overview of the distribution of the dragonflies and damselflies of Europe. An important reference work for professionals and amateurs alike.
- Covers the distribution and habitat selection of all 143 European species of dragonflies and damselflies.
- Gives a complete description of their global and European distribution, illustrated using over 200 distribution maps.
- Gives per species information on taxonomy, range, population trends, flights season-, and habitat.
- Includes unique photos and flight season diagrams for virtually all European dragonflies.
- Contains extensive background information on taxonomy, conservation, and for each country an overview of the history of odonatological studies.
The book is the result of a co-operation of over 50 European dragonfly experts who over the past decade brought together all records of dragonflies and damselflies, from the Azores to the Ural and from the North Cape to Lampedusa. This endeavor was coordinated by Jean-Pierre Boudot and Vincent Kalkman.
Table of contents
Acknowledgements 7 Introduction 9 Phylogeny and classification 15 Conservation 27 Country accounts 37 Lestidae 51 Calopterygidae 69 Epallagidae / Euphaeidae 77 Platycnemididae 81 Coenagrionidae 89 Aeshnidae 147 Gomphidae 187 Cordulegastridae 211 Oxygastra 223 Macromiidae 227 Corduliidae 231 Livellulidae 251 Checklist of European dragonflies 323 Distribution checklist 329 List of Authors and their affiliation 339 Localities of photographs 341 References 345 Index 379